If you’re looking to hide files on your PC hard drive, you may have read about ways to encrypt folders or change the attributes on a file so that they cannot be accessed by others. However, a lot of times hiding files or folders in that way requires that you install some sort of software on your computer, which could then be spotted by someone else and which is also a lengthy process. But this is a cool trick which shows you a new way of hiding the files or folders that you want to keep safe. Using this trick in Windows Operating System, you can actually hide the files inside the pictures with JPEG format.
This is a superb trick which supports you to hide any sort of files inside the picture including .mp3, .exe, .txt etc.
So, here is the procedure you have to follow for hiding the files inside the pictures.
In order to perform this task you need to have WinRAR or WinZIP software installed on your PC. You can download either of these two soft wares from internet.Follow these steps:
- Create a folder in your hard drive i.e C:\Test and put all the files you want to hide into that folder. Also, place the image that you will be using to hide the files in.
- Now select the files you want to hide, right-click on them, and choose the option to add them to a compressed ZIP or RAR file. Only select the files you want to hide not the picture. Name it what ever you want, i.e "Hiddenfiles.rar"
- Now you should have a folder that looks something like this with files, a JPEG image, and a compressed archive.
- Now here's the important part. Click on Start button and click on Run. Type cmd and press Enter. Now you'll see the command prompt window. Type in in “CD \” to get to the root directory. Then type CD and the directory name that you created, i.e. “CD Test“.
- Now type in the following line: “copy /b 0436 .JPG + Hidden.rar 0436.jpg”and press Enter. Do not use the quotes.
- It's better to use WinRAR than WinZIP because of some problems with ZIP format.
- You can access your hidden file in two ways. Firstly, simply change the extension to .RAR and open the file using WinRAR. Secondly, you can just right-click on the JPEG image and choose Open With and then scroll down to WinRAR. Either way, you’ll see your hidden files show up that you can then extract out.
- Screen shots for the above process:-